Land Surveying instructor Rich Lang knows the benefits of attending an industry conference. "It's a great way for students to network," he says. That's why his students volunteered last weekend at the Land Surveyor's Association of Washington's annual conference, held at the Hotel Murano.
"My students and students from other colleges spent three days staffing the registration desk, distributing speaker handouts, working at dinners and lunches, and helping to stamp continuing education booklets for the participants," says Rich.
Ted Pease, land surveying student, was excited to talk with land surveyors about the industry outlook. "They told us to keep our hopes up, that the economy is turning around," he says.
Student Kelly Burlison had the opportunity to sit in on lectures during the conference. "It was fun to get out there and be seen by potential employers," says Kelly.
Rich gave a presentation about the Public Land Survey System at the conference.
Way to go, Land Surveying!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Below is a roundup of news stories mentioning Bates:
- The Seattle Times, Feb. 25, SCTV Golden Classics on KBTC is a Friday TV pick
- FeedTacoma.com (blog), Feb. 27, TO'T's T-Town Trivia #1
- eHow.com, Feb. 26, Technical Colleges in Puyallup, Washington (listed under 'nearby colleges')
- community-colleges.suite101.com, Feb. 27, Colleges in Tacoma, Washington
- AutismSocietyofTacoma (blog), Feb. 28, Northwest Now (KBTC)-Program on 'Autism'
- Parts & People, March 1, High school auto technology program brims with students in intro and advanced classes
- eHow.com, March 2, Trade schools in Washington State
- Tacoma Weekly, March 4, All in the Family (KBTC)
- The Peninsula Gateway, March 4, Dinner auction to benefit preschool
- community.livejournal.com (blog), March 4, Fandom News and World Report (KBTC)
- Business Examiner, March 8, Thinking outside the box
- The News Tribune, March 9, Keeping small business afloat
- Auburn Reporter, March 12, Bates Foundation honors 3 Auburn students at celebration
- The Olympian and The News Tribune, March 14, House burns for training
- The News Tribune, March 14, Bates students take part in live fire training
- The Suburban Times, March 14, Bates Foundation honors students
- The News Tribune, March 15, Stimulus funds to spark new careers
- The Seattle Times, March 17, 'Music of Ireland' & 'Welcome Home' on KBTC is a Wednesday TV pick